Saturday, August 06, 2005

Info regarding the creation process

For those who asked about the process in creating these songs.
The original concept with regards to equipment was to keep it stripped back (reletively speaking for those who know me. I'm a bit of a gear junkie). The main equipment I'm using is the Roland VG-88 V2 Guitar System for all the guitar/bass tones and BFD (and other random samples) for the drums. The songs are arranged and recorded to the hard drive with minimal software effects (at this stage). And the songs are all written just before the podcast is due. I might think of a 'concept' during the fortnight but everything else is done in a spontanious manner so this comes across in the music.

Pod 01: A funky impro track with 2 'rhythm' parts, bassline and an improvised guitar solo all done with the VG-88. Drums were played in via the Korg microKontrol for that live feel. Track started with the drum beat and I went from there. Drums were tweaked a touch once the guitars were laid down.

Pod 02: Wanted to pick up the pace somewhat. I started with the riff which I ended up doubling in the second half to fatten the track up. Harmonics were used in the intro. Throughout the piece there's a counter melody battling it out. The notes were played in groups of varying lengths and then the same line was displaced to create the madness. Drums drop out for the improvised end section.

Pod 03: I wanted to use the phrygian scale for this piece due to the sound it creates so I devised a phrygian chord progression to improvise over. There were 2 rhythm guitars, a solo guitar and a bass synth sounding guitar to add some bass in the bottom end and for some ambience. The original sound I had for the song was an ambient jazz piece. Turned out more majestic sounding due to the constant pulse and tones used. This song also had an improvised end section which I really enjoy. Who knows what that is going to lead into??!!

I'll be sure to post info about the future pieces when the song is uploaded for everyone's perusal.

Enjoy!!

No comments: