Saturday, September 03, 2005

Creation of Pod 05

For Pod 05 I had no idea what I was going to do so I just plugged my guitar into the vg88 and played. And Pod 05 is what came out.
Pod 05 is created from 4 guitar parts. The first part I put down was a high-pitched drone part which I manipulated in realtime on the vg88. Next part was a low drone sound to compliment the high-pitched one. Then I did an improvised solo over the drones. The final part was the clean guitar/bass sounds. These sounds were played at the same time due to a clever patch on the vg88 where my low E and A strings were pitchshifted down in bass territory and the 4 top strings were separately harmonised in fifths for each string.
All parts were one take only and totally improvised. Only guitar was used in the recording with zero effects on the recording. The hardest thing was trying to create an ambient piece which is only a minute long. This is harder than it seems. So what you hear on the podcast is a cut from a 4 minute jam with a new mix. Feel free to leave some feedback (which gives me an idea for another pod song :-)
Enjoy.

No comments: