Sunday, April 09, 2006

Creation of Pod 20

Pod 20 was created by composing mathematically. I asked my girlfriend for a random string of numbers (45692) and then she said she'd give me her phone extension number also (49361). I then created the sum of:

49361 - 45692 = 3669

And this what I used to compose the piece. The 3 original parts/sections were created on guitar first then fed into a scoring/sequencer program. From here I composed the remaining parts on the computer. Because of this I had to 'learn' several parts before recording. It gets up to 5 layers deep in some sections but for most part it's 2 guitars, one 'bass'(still guitar though) and drums.
I decided to add drums as a final step to create continuity and flow through the pieces. Because of the odd time signatures, I found this was necessary for the listener. The only part that used external fx was the brief noise guitar texture part. The rest is purely VG88v2. (except for drums of course :-)

This pod track took the longest to create so far but very rewarding once it was finished. I'm thinking of using the last two sections in one of the bands I'm in. Murdergrin (for lovers of more extreme music:-)

Technorati Tags: , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously Cool idea !!!
Works really well too.

S.

Ritchie said...

Cheers. Yeah I was pretty happy with how it turned out. Took a bit of work but paid off in the end :-)